You will climb the highest peak in Québec and East Canada from its 1646 meters high. You will come back with a tale few can tell. Amazement and exaltation guaranteed! The whistle of the wind, highly valued in the Inuit tradition, is omnipresent throughout this section of the park. You’ll instantly be filled with a sense of freedom. With unbeaten trails suitable for intermediary and experienced hikers, this is where you can wander the tundra surrounded by majestic landscapes. Our local guides will introduce you to this exceptional land filled with Inuit legends. On behalf of our guides and our community, we are pleased to welcome you to our region: Tunngasugit!
Meals are provided by a local caterer based on traditional cuisine, seasonal catches and other available provisions. The meals listed in the itinerary are those normally provided during this expedition. In accordance with northern realities, meals may be adjusted depending on availabilities. In Nunavik, the weather is constantly changing. Expeditions may be adjusted to take into account current conditions. Openness to new situations, flexibility and the ability to adapt to modified activities and timetable are important prerequisites for travelers in Nunavik parks and an authentic element of your northern experience. This exceptional expedition is designed for exceptional travelers, who possess a strong sense of solidarity, a capacity to adapt and strict respect for safety. The expedition includes adventure and the unexpected, supported by the expertise of seasoned guides who will know how to maximize your experiences.
Departure from Quebec City or Montreal and flight transfer at Kuujjuaq to Kangiqsualujjuaq (45–50 minutes flight via a Twin Otter-type small aircraft). On your arrival at Kangiqsualujjuaq, you will be welcomed by a Kuururjuaq park staff member. Forms and equipment will be checked, and a rucksack will be provided. Next, you will be shuttled to your hotel accommodations for check-in and a little free time. A traditional supper will be organized at the park pavilion with community residents. You will be introduced to elders and have an opportunity to learn more about Inuit culture, history and legends. Accommodations: Coop-hotel (Kangiqsualujjuaq).
• Meal: Lunch prepared by the Kuujjuaq Inn (cheese, crackers, wraps, salads, fruit) / Traditional supper with community residents.
• Accommodations: Kangiqsualujjuaq Coop Hotel.
Leaving from your hotel in the morning, your day will include relaxation, pure northern air and getting acquainted with your travel companions. A community tour will be organized. Kangiqsualujjuaq is nes-tled on the George River, within 15 km of Ungava Bay. The community is very welcoming and will pro-vide a noteworthy cultural experience. You might also go for a short hike to the expansive Ungava Bay. Other activities include learning to set up a tupik (traditional tent), participating in some short excur-sions, and watching the sun set over the bay. In the evening, an information session will be organized with your guide team and to review expedition details. Supper will be served at the cooperative hotel.
• Meals: Continental-type breakfast at the cooperative hotel (coffee, tea, croissants, cereal, toast, granola, fruit) / lunch on site (soup, crackers, wraps or sandwiches, bannock) / supper at the cooperative hotel (sausages, cheese, casserole, prepared fish or meat, meat pies, pasta).
• Accommodations: Kangiqsualujjuaq Coop Hotel.
Departure from the cooperative hotel around 8 a.m. You will fly over the Koroc valley and the Torngat mountains for a 40 minutes panoramic tour flight to the head of Koroc where the trekking can start. You will reach your base camp after a 4-5 hours beautiful hike among the Torngats.
Patrick GraillonMireille Boulianne
• Meals: Continental-type breakfast at the cooperative hotel (coffee, tea, cheese, cereal, toast, granola, fruit) / lunch on site (soup, crackers, wraps or sandwiches, bannock) (expedition foodstuffs carried in your backpacks) / supper at the base camp (sausages, cheese, chicken, steak, fish, rice and vegetables).
• Accommodations: base camp.
Depending on the weather, you will begin the ascent from the base camp to the foot of the giant mount d’Iberville and its 1646 meters high. Note that some legs of the climb are more exposed and span terrain is very rocky with unstable blocks. As you will climb higher to the summit, you will feel on the top of the world with the spectacular view over the Torngats to the Labrador side. Once to the summit of the approach, you will follow the ridge roped 2 by 2 with your guide to the highest peak of the Province. You will enjoy three days to spend in the magnificent Iberville sec-tor either to rest or to enjoy many activities including exploration of the sector, its glaciers, lakes and falls. You will see many typical Arctic geomorphological formations and some archeological sites witnessing the use of the land as an ancient path for Inuit to travel. But the experience is aerial, spectacular and even breathtaking: you will reach an alti-tude of 1,554 m! The plateau, nicknamed the football field, provides an impressive view of Rama Bay and the Labrador Sea.
• Meals: Continental-type breakfast at the base camp (coffee, tea, cheese, cereal, toast, granola, fruit) / lunch on site (soup, crack-ers, wraps or sandwiches, bannock) (expedition foodstuffs carried in your backpacks) / supper at the base camp (sausages, cheese, chicken, steak, fish, rice and vegetables).
• Accommodations: base camp.
Return trip through the valleys with your new perspective of the life in the mountains. You will meet the plane at head of Koroc for a last panoramic flight through parc national Kuururjuaq. You will land at Kangiqsualujjuaq for a connexion to Kuujjuaq where a Nunavik Parks’ staff member will bring you to your hotel for a good cozy rest.
• Meals: Continental-type breakfast at the base camp (coffee, tea, cheese, cereal, toast, granola, fruit) / lunch on site (soup, crack-ers, wraps or sandwiches, bannock) (expedition foodstuffs carried in your backpacks) / supper at the Coop Hotel in Kuujjuaq.
• Accommodations: Coop Hotel in Kuujjuaq.
After breakfast, return flight to Kuujjuaq. Transfer at Kuujjuaq and return flight to Montreal or Quebec City.
• Meals: Continental-type breakfast at the Coop Hotel.
Price per person, before taxes. All-included (meals, accommodations, transportation). Preferential prices for
JBNQA beneficiaries. 2 participants needed to guarantee departure, contact us to join a group. Although hunting and trapping are strictly prohibited into the National Parks of Quebec, Inuit have the right to practise their subsistence activities throughout Nunavik, including the parc national Tursujuq. Thus, witness a group of Inuit hunting caribou, ringed or trapping foxes may be part of the Nunavik park experience.
It's part of visitors responsibilities to plan their own safety: training to prepare your trip and having the proper insurance is part of it. Therefore, we strongly advise visitors to take an insurance policy covering air evacuation costs. Therefore, we advise strongly visitors to take an insurance policy covering air evacuation costs. Contact us if you need consulting for your planning.
Discover the impressive landscapes of Nunavik in Parc national Kuururjuaq during this memorable trekking. Accompagned by your Inuit guides, you will feel the history of this magical place, while climbing the highest peak in Québec and East Canada. Now, Imagine coming back with this tale very few can tell.We take care of everything: your flights from Montreal, your meals, your activities, your gear (tents, mats, sleeping bags...), and more! Contact us for all the details!
Dates available July 20-28
July 27- Aug 4
August 24-Sept 1
(2 hours flight)
Everything is included: flights, gear, food
6 to 8 visitors per group
What's included ?• Return flights from Montreal
• Transfers to the park
• Access fees in the park and camping fees
• All snowmobile and/or boat transportation
• 8 breakfasts, 8 dinners and 8 suppers
• 3 nights at the Hotel
• 5 nights at the shelters / Traditional accommodations
• Cultural activities • Full camping equipment
• Climbing equipment
Please ask for our documents and information equipment